Most organizations take a good online classroom, which is also called learning management system(LMS), as the main building for online education. With the basis of an online classroom that helps with administering, documenting, tracking, reporting and delivering educational courses and training programs, you can manage a learning community much better.
However, the need for manage our learning does not only take place in school or company.
- Can we apply a LMS in our own learning journey?
- Is it good to apply it into our own learning community?
- Can parents manage their children’s learning path by LMS?
- If we don’t have a LMS for individual or a small community, what we can do?
If it is easy to apply to different occasions, it will be a powerful tool to boost everyone’s learning efficiency, since we need a feedback and support system to complete our learning journey.
For self-learner especially, you can invite you consultant to evaluate you learning result, and let them give you some advice. However, we may not always be aware of what kind of questions are needed to be asked, so a tool that provides you with valuable insights from data will be helpful.
Since most of the LMS is designed for organization, and some handy tool for personal workspace do not have features from LMS, here are the things that I’ll show you in the following paragraph:
- What exactly a learning management system is and comparing it with tools for workspace.
- By knowing this, you will have a basic idea about what feature you need from a LMS.
- Can we create a LMS that is easy to apply to?
Features of a Learning Management System
The features that I mentioned below may not all be necessary to the occasion that you want to apply, so you only need to think of what kind of features you want to adapt.
1.Digitize the Learning Content
The platform should be able to adapt to different source of learning content, so that you can manage all the courses, materials in one place. For instance, the system needs to support the function like saving all types of files, while you can also record sound and video or write in it.
2. Manage the Learning Activities
- Dashboard : It can let you know all the information of personal learning actives by one glance.
- Building Course : Integrate all the digital resources, organizing them as courses or providing learning resource on-demand.
- Submission : The host can assign tasks for all the members, and the members can upload their tasks. The host can also correct the tasks from members in this system.
- Scheduling : We can settle down timeline for testing, deadline for handing tasks or events. The system should also have the notification features.
- Poll / Quiz tool : It includes a tool for establishing different types of tasks, and also the function to correct the tasks automatically.
- Gradebook : The host should have an interface to manage member’s task result.
- Assessment : Assessments are a key part of any course. An LMS makes it easy to create and manage these assessments, both system evaluated and tutor evaluated.
- Reporting : An LMS can generate a wide variety of reports, including learning progress, score, member engagement, etc. The data can be utilized to gain valuable insight into the bottleneck of your learning journey.
3. Social Features
An LMS should handle all course communications and notifications to concerned users.
- Immediate or non immediate interaction functions like Facebook or twitter is needed. It should also have features for video chatting and creating groups.
- Everyone should be able to launch and follow a discussion under the learning material.
- There should be a place for community to share any content.
4. Mobile Learning Features
- Responsive Design: It can display the interface properly in different types of devices.
- It should support offline reading or testing.
- Some courses have new types of teaching method if the systems can supports the function of Augmented Reality.
5. Learning Analytic Engine
There are some software use AI to support for optimizing learner’s learning path and content, so that we can build a personalized learning environment.
For instances, an online learning platform called Thid Space Learning applies AI really well. This platform is a tutor system that provides one-to-one math lessons to 3,500 pupils weekly, and the AI of this platform will detect whether a student is in a “losing interest pattern”, so that the tutors can revise their teaching method.
Can We Create a LMS not for Org.?
From the graph above, we can see that we do need the features of LMS to support our learning journey.
However, for self-learning, LMS nowadays have some disadvantages:
- The system is designed for teacher and student respectively, but there is no such a difference when it comes to self-learning.
- LMS nowadays only supports the function of creating courses, not integrating courses from different platform.
- Using a note taking platform supports the integration function, which is what LMS do not support.
Although we cannot apply LMS into self-learning, there are still something we can do.
Apply The All-In-One Workspace “Notion” as Alternative
Notion is a powerful all-in-one workspace that provides components such as databases, kanban boards, wikis, calendars and reminders. Therefore, you can use notion to support some features of LMS as the graph below:
For example, you can make a Progress Bar in Notion.
Let’s Review Ourselves
After knowing that we do not have a well-designed LMS for self-learning, some of us may be quite disappointed. However, I think that the tools and the feature is not the most important things, but the goal that we want to achieve behind each of the features.
If we do not have an AI that helps us analyze our learning behavior, why don’t we use an excel to do the record, and analyze the data by ourselves? If there’s no a perfect dashboard, then we can just use other tools to create one. In the end of this article, I just hoping that we can use the features of LMS as a checkbox, to know how to manage our learning better.
Please share the way that you manage your learning journey with us! And I’m more happy to talk with all of you:)